WITCH FINGER COOKIES
No need to be skilled in Witchcraft to make these shortbread-type Witch Finger Cookies. Easy to make and very colorful, they will delight the entire family this Halloween season.
2 ¾ cups All Purpose Flour
1 ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
8 oz Unsalted Butter (2 sticks), softened
1 Large Egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Chefmaster Liqua-Gel® Leaf Green Food Coloring
Almonds (or Sliced Almonds)
Seedless Strawberry Jam (or Strawberry Fruit Spread)
Tools & Utensils:
Stand Mixer with a whisk
Tipless decorating Pastry Bag or small Zip-lock Bag.
- Take your sticks of butter out of the refrigerator approx. an hour prior to starting baking to let it softened at room temperature.
- Prepare and measure your ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl combine Vanilla Extract, Almond Extract and 4 to 5 drops of Chefmaster Liqua-Gel® Leaf Green Food Coloring.
- Cut butter in small pieces and add to the bowl of your stand mixer with the Powdered Sugar. Beat on medium/low speed until pale and fluffy (speed #2 to #4 depending on your brand of mixer).
- Add egg to bowl and continue mixing until fully incorporated and fluffy.
- Add colored liquid mixture to mixer bowl and continue mixing on medium/low until the color is evenly incorporated.
- Reduce mixer speed to low (speed #1 to #2 depending in your brand of mixer). Add Flour mixture ½ cup to ¾ cup at the time until well-combined.
- If a stronger shade of green is desired you can add a few more drops of Chefmaster Liqua-Gel® Leaf Green Food Coloring at that time. Beat only long enough for the color to be evenly distributed. Do not overmix your dough.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Fill a small decorating pastry bag or small Zip-lock Bag with approx. ½ cup Strawberry Jam.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a traditional oven, please turn the trays half-way through baking and switch the bottom tray and the top tray to make sure all cookies are baking uniformly. You might need to bake your cookies an additional 2-5 minutes to compensate for the loss of heat while opening the oven.
For even more ghoulish deliciousness, you can easily prepare a red fruits coulis by blending a bag of frozen strawberry or red fruits into a Smoothie blender and create a bloody dip for your cookies. Enjoy!