PUMPKIN MERINGUE PIE
Pumpkin Pie is such a classic autumn dessert and present at almost all Thanksgiving gathering. They are super easy to make (especially when using a pre-made pie crust) and delicious. Children will love helping you make this delicious dessert. Adding a tiny pinch of black pepper might seem surprising, but this is a trick we learned from professional pastry chefs that will enhance the spice flavor profile of your pumpkin filling. For a fun twist on the classic Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Pie with Marshmallow Topping, try our Pumpkin Meringue Pie combining the best of a Pumpkin Pie and a Lemon Meringue Pie. This might soon become your family favorite pumpkin pie recipe!
- For the Pie Shell
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie crust (if previously frozen, though before use)
- For the Pumpkin Filling
- 15 oz Canned Pumpkin (1 can)
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk (1 can)
- 2 Large Eggs, beaten, room temperature
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Spice Mix
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Small Pinch Ground Black Pepper
- For the Meringue Pie Topping:
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Water, boiling
- ¼ cup Chefmaster Deluxe Meringue Powder
Tools & Utensils:
Measuring Cups & Spoons
Hot Water Kettle (or small saucepan)
Stand Mixer with a Whisk attachment (or electric mixer and large bowl)
Decorating Pastry bag with coupler and large tip (#12 or similar recommended)
Rubber Band (or flat plastic bag clip)
Tall White Glass or small flower vase
- Prepare and measure all your ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (420°F for convection oven)
- Prepare Pumpkin Pie:
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine together by hand your pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, beaten egg pumpkin spice mix, salt and pepper until well combined and smooth.
- Pour your Pumpkin Filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (325°F for convection oven) and continue baking approx. 35 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the center is still a tiny bot jiggly.
- Remove pumpkin pie from oven.
- Prepare your Meringue Pie topping while your pie is in the oven:
- Bring water to a boil.
- Make a simple syrup by dissolving ¾ cup granulated sugar into ½ cup boiling water in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Let mix cool off completely.
- Once the syrup is completely cooled, stir in ¼ cup Deluxe Meringue Powder.
- Beat to high, stiff peaks at medium speed then high speed.
- Spoon or pipe evenly spaced Meringue Dollops on your warm pumpkin pie.
- If desired, burn the Meringue Pie Topping for a few minutes with a kitchen torch.
- If you do not have a kitchen torch and prefer to use your oven boiler, please be careful not to leave your pumpkin pie for more than a couple of minutes as staying too long in the oven will dry your filling and causes your pumpkin pie to crack on the top. We recommend using a kitchen torch to avoid any over baking of your pie.
- Let your pie cool completely before serving
Your Pumpkin Meringue Pie can be prepared in advance and do not need to be refrigerated if consumed within 24 hours. Otherwise, we recommend keeping it for a few days in your fridge.
This delicious meringue topping also pairs very well with your favorite Sweet Potatoes Pie recipe if you prefer this flavor to Pumpkin Pie.